Friday, November 2, 2007

Starting to think about the paper.

Monday, October 22 (2 hours)and Wednesday, October 24 (2 hours): A lot of the time here was spent discussing how the Friday shoot went, which we think was good. We've got 4 tapes worth of material, and so when it comes time to edit that we should have a lot going for us. We're now in the process of trying to make a date with Dr. Gilbert to do the editing, but fitting that in sometime when everyone is available is going to be quite tricky because we've got 2 weeks left until we leave for the conference and arrangements need to be made for that. I was also left in charge of calling Dr. Gilbert to make arrangements to get back the jacket that TJ had left in the theater on Friday night. It wasn't a bad task by any means, but it was a tad intimidating for me to just phone my professor at home and be like "so did you happen to find a jacket at the theater? Oh, you did... can we get that from you sometime?" It's not that I didn't want to talk to Dr. Gilbert, but I've never actually called a professor at home and so it seemed more like some kind of violation of the standard communication paths or something. But I survived, and we had a nice discussion about how things are coming along here. It kind of seems like even though I'm learning a lot of things, they're hard to put into a journal because about half of the things tend to be the real-life experiences that don't really seem impressive on their own until I reflect on the fact that I've grown as a person because of them.

On another note though, a few of the people who had originally scheduled to go with us to the conference have found out that they can't go, and so that's kind of a loss because the more the merrier, and if we have more people we could potentially gather more information because there will be multiple sessions going on at the same time at this conference. I'm going to take a notebook and just scribble furiously in hopes of catching the important stuff. I've been thinking about the paper that I have to write at the end of the year- not a lot, but a little bit at least, and I have been keeping up on the "outside readings" that are part of the internship requirement... actually I think I'm a bit ahead of the requirement because I've got more than 1 per week, but I've been trying to learn as much as I can about public access TV and the related fields. I guess I should make a list of these; a lot of them are scholarly journals and books on the media use (photoshop, dreamweaver, iMovie, etc). I'm not totally sure how I'm going to tie these in together, unless I do something like an overview of my internship from the broad to the narrow- explaining public access television and all of the drama/excitement surrounding it, and narrowing down to the actual creation of material for P.A. TV. I'll need to work on the idea, but I do have some materials.

No comments: