Friday, January 4, 2008

Pre-Finals week

12/3- 2 hours
12/5- 2 hours
12/7- 8 hours, total 161.5 hours

It was really cool coming to work and being able to discuss some real life experience in the field. In fact, it might have been my proudest moment so far at the station, because for the first time I not only knew what I learned here in the studio, but also was able to bring outside experiences in and discuss them with people who knew what I was talking about. I mean, it was cool explaining to my parents what I did, but they didn't really understand the whole thing because of the technical aspects of it. And here I was, having an intelligent conversation about equipment and showing off my first press pass. Victory!

I've been making progress with the brochure too, although it's been taking a while. As it turns out, the pre-made brochure format that comes with the InDesign program isn't actually formatted to fit an 8.5x11 page. Or rather, it is but it's not clear that it is because on the page there are a lot of little grid marks that show you how far from the "edge" of the page you're getting. So I've been trying to make all the information and images fit into the little area and it's not been working, which has been one of the most frustrating assignments I've come across. So I printed a test version of the image only to find that it was too small. Apparently those grid lines actually don't go to the edge of the page, but instead there is an additional margin that isn't accounted for, so the image you create, unless you go all the way to the edge of the workable area, ends up being too small. However, I reworded a lot of the brochure, making it more concise and getting rid of some old information while updating new information. Overall, it's a vast improvement in terms of the message being sent. I also updated the images that appear in this version of the brochure. It definitely needs more images, but we don't have any that would work within the area and the feel of the new brochure, so we need to get more images that I can Photoshop to fit here. That's the task for next week, as well at tweaking the brochure more. It's improved, but by no means done. I am, however, really proud of the images on the front and back pages of the brochure because I used photoshop to combine multiple pictures to create those images, and I think they turned out really good- especially the front.


No comments: